In this episode, we celebrate the life and legacy of Nelson Mandela through the music of South Africa from the late 1950s through the dismantling of apartheid. The first sets showcase artists who were popular at the time and often meaningful in the liberation struggle of black South Africans. The final set includes songs inspired by Madiba and performed by artists from around the world.
Nelson Mandela is one of my most beloved heroes, so creating this program felt like a labor of love. During the show, I refer to a movie from a decade ago called Amandla! If you are interested in learning more about the connection between music and South African freedom, I encourage you to check it out.
This might be it for me for 2013. Thanks to all of you who have stayed tuned in!
1. When You Come Back - Vusi Mahlasela
2. Meadowlands - Nancy Jacobs & Her Sisters
3. Langa More - Dark City Sisters
4. Give Us Our Land (Mabayeke) - Harry Belafonte
5. Madiba's Jive - Antonio Forcione
6. Saduva - Miriam Makeba
7. Mahlalela - Letta Mbulu
8. Tiba Kamo - Phillip Malela
9. Sangoma - Malobmo
10. Asimbonanga (Mandela) - Soweto Gospel Choir (Feat. Johnny Clegg)
11. Free Nelson Mandela - Quilapayún
12. Nelson Mandela - The Special AKA
13. Bring Him Back Home (Nelson Mandela) - Hugh Masekela
14. Tribute to Madiba - DJ Gibbz
15. Abezizwe (Uniting Nations Together - D'Influence Mix) - Ladysmith Black Mambazo
Enjoy, share and spread the love...Radio Show 12-12-13.